Site Metrics and Web Analytics by NextSTAT Why Kids Are Great: I almost forgot how to blog....

Thursday, April 25, 2019

I almost forgot how to blog....

Ok, so it's been like 5 years since I have made a blog post.

That's not entirely true, I have written many blog posts than never got published because for the most part they were on more serious matters and not funny or cute or filled with pictures of my (now much older) kids. I have been using this space as more of an unpublished journal.

I feel obligated to get everyone caught up real quick.



Kendal is my spirit animal.  She is the MOST creative human I have EVER met/ made. (more on that later) This is how she looks on the way to school. Because morning are dumb.
The other child pictured has probably been awake for more than 7 minutes, likely ate breakfast, had her hair brushed, and followed the school dress code. She is our next door neighbor and one of Kendal's besties.

Kendal is finally getting taller! Still chillin in the 1% for height/ weight. She likes it that way and plans to "stay small forever because being a grown up sounds AWFUL"
She's not wrong.







Logan is a pre-teen. His brain is a hot rewiring mess of emotion, drama, excessive intelligence, worthless memes, and more recently the ability to site read any music in front of him on piano, drums, and harmonica.

If you have or are about to have a preteen, PLEASE do yourself a favor and educate yourself about this ridiculous stage of development. I have many links if you want them, but this is a good one. 





I started a surprisingly successful tie dye business 5 years ago because mornings are dumb and so are bosses and rules and meetings. Plus I get to color ALL THE TIME.
It so important to do what makes you happy. This makes me happy. The amount of happy it brings me could be it's own blog series. My sister in law suggested I do that.. she has her own blog. You should go read it. :)

*Shameless Self Promotion*
My online store
Go buy things.



Loopy is good, he is a software engineer at an awesome company that loves him and treats him like a human, which is a nice change from our previous, more scarring endeavours with his past employment.  He had a couple minor and only temporarily life threatening health issues in the last year but he is back to fighting with our dog for couch space. He still rocks out and is playing with a band that is finally starting to book gigs. Yay for that.






Oh yeah, we inherited a dog. Raven was the ridiculously spoiled and only child of my good friend Nissa who passed away 3 years ago. I have written about her a few times over the years. This was my all time FAVORITE post with my girl Nissa.







Raven is Needy. 









Ok, now that we are all caught up



The REAL reason I was planning to blog today is because Kendal. Like I said, she is the most creative and quirky little person. Possibly in the world.


No, really. She makes things. She draws things to make, She writes books, her brain is completely consumed with CREATING.
Which I LOVE about her. 




 A couple months ago I was contacted by her teacher and the school therapist about concerns with her social skills and ability to stay focused. She is at a new school this year that we LOVE. So they don't "know her" like the other school.  (Logan transferred here last year after deciding once and for all the regular public school doesn't work for him) I agreed that some intervention can't hurt, So she is pulled out of class every other Thursday to work on those skills in a small group setting. 


After talking to the therapist I expressed concern with her ability to keep up in a regular classroom environment, specifically in math. Her teacher agreed that she is having some trouble staying focussed. If something does not interest Kendal she frankly does not give a shit about it and will "go into her own head" as her teacher puts it. I contacted the school's ESE coordinator and let her know I would like to have Kendal tested for Dyscalculia. Although I have never been diagnosed with Dyscalculia I have every single symptom and recognize the same struggles for Kendal.

Which brings us to today: 

She does not qualify for an IEP (individualized education plan) or 504 (less "strict" IEP). Yet. The team that I spoke to today asked why we have not pursued this in the past. I let them know that her past teachers were fucking amazing and recognized her needs and supported her without written instruction. Being at a new school I sort of wanted to see how Kendal would fly on her own so I stepped away from being the ALWAYS there parent. We have a decent relationship with this teacher. She also steps up to help K on a regular basis, we just don't communicate as much I have in the past.



Her previous teachers really have all been absolutely amazing with her, they each made sure that she has the support that she needs to stay on task and do well in school. And I LOVE THAT. I still talk to a couple of them on a regular basis.  Sometimes we even get to hang out.
 I don't have pics with her with her 3rd grade teacher because they are too invovled in whatever they're discussing for photo-ops.





Even though past teachers each spent good amount of one on one time with her, let her work in small groups, or gave her extra time on assignments. (All these things would actually be included in her IEP or 504 plan) Since nothing was technically documented until today, we have to start from the beginning because the IEP process and support is a tiered system.
I've been advised to discuss the possibility of ADD at her annual pediatric checkup, which is a legit concern.  (Nearly ALL of those boxes on the quick test were checked.) Not so that we can medicate her, but so that we can officially get assistance if she needs it at school.The ESE staff just requests that there be steps taken ahead of an IEP/ Dyscalculia type test such as discussing a potential delay or disability with her doctor. 
So anyway, I signed papers stating that we want to start the process. Her teacher and school psychologist both suggested she be tested again for gifted.  (She was tested after kindergarten but was not focused on anything to proctor was saying) A lot of her qualities and quirks fall into the markers for gifted.. So that will also happen over the summer. 
I guess I didn't realize that her extreme right brained way of doing things also put her into The "gifted" category but it does make sense. In my head I associate giftedness with a more book smart type of intelligence. (like my OTHER super smart kid)  It makes sense, she did start her own business.. which does quite well at music festivals and craft shows. 





So there you go. Yet another subchapter in the world of parenting. 

2 comments:

  1. You're so awesome. And creativity is just as much a "gifted" talent as "book smarts." One just may wear more tie-dye than the other. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks love. Yesterday Logan or a shirt with Nyan Cat. The background is white. I told him I could fix that for him and he told me it's supposed to be like this. Blasphemy.

    ReplyDelete